Disclaimer

Please note that the entries in this Blog are our opinions and experiences. They do not reflect the US Government or the Peace Corps. Thank you!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

This you will like - Quarterly Report Excerpt 3

Lesson Learned

Well, there is one thing I have learned about being a Peace Corps Volunteer; not many people can do it.

This quarter my school had two groups of foreigners visit our school; Dutch people for two weeks and Italians for one day. I was able to talk with all of them and explain what Peace Corps is, why I was here, and (most stunning) that it was a two year commitment.

Many of them gave me genuinely shocked looks. Two years. Here. Without running water. Electricity… sometimes. Without seeing your family. What? I can’t believe it! You are really brave.

For me, being a Peace Corps Volunteer is so natural. I have wanted to be a Volunteer for years. It was a part of my plan. But when you are actually serving as a Volunteer you forget how unique you are. You have good days and bad days. Your fellow Volunteers are just like you. They wanted to be here. You forget how remarkable it is to Volunteer until others visit. You get a great morale boost. You think to yourself; Yea I am here. This is my life. I guess it is pretty cool.

It leaves you smiling for the rest of the week.


(P.S. I have learned other lessons as well but this one seemed most appropriate at this moment.)

No comments:

Post a Comment