Disclaimer

Please note that the entries in this Blog are our opinions and experiences. They do not reflect the US Government or the Peace Corps. Thank you!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Excerpts from my Quarterly Report - 1

Hello All,

It has been way too long. I know. Blame me. I owe your picture too!

Here is a little excerpt though to keep you going a bit:

Community Integration

Language learning is still as it was three months ago. I am learning words and phrases here and there but I am not advancing as I would like to be. One reason for this is my preferred language tutor is a fellow staff member and she is busier than I am! So now I am contemplating a different tutor, one of the school cooks, so I hope to progress.

Cooking has also progressed with my neighbors. We are teaching each other food preps and have continued making cakes. (Matoke peeling is harder than it looks!)

The World Cup soccer games were a nice way to integrate this quarter too. My husband and I would go to his school and to my counterpart’s house to watch the games. We would talk soccer at our schools and pick our favorites and so forth. It was great seeing their excitement and then being with them during the games.

I have also attended two weddings; one a traditional marriage ceremony and the other was a church wedding. The traditional ceremony was great because it was cross-cultural for all of us. We asked questions and really enjoyed ourselves. Then I was invited to taste the local brew with my colleagues. I do not know if you would call it integration necessarily but I find that sitting with people and talking, whether over food or drinks, is a casual (and fantastic) way to talk openly about what is happening around us.

This quarter I also help spread Ugandan culture. I attended the Busoga Opening Circumcision Ceremony in Mbale. I took many pictures and brought them back to my school. One of my tutors, Madam Zauma, is from that area and she was very excited that I went to the ceremony! She then proceeded to explain what was happening in the pictures to my neighbors and I. She was the only one from that region and no one else had ever been to the ceremony either. It was a great time.

I was also invited to an Ede celebration by my college’s Muslim students this September. They gave presentations about Ede and the Muslim faith. They were completely blown away that I did not grow up in a community with Muslims and that really they were the first Muslims I had talked to about their faith. I think we will have great conversations in the future about faith.

Ok, this may or may not be integration but I feel I have had a breakthrough with my neighborhood children. My husband’s aunt sent us coloring books and crayons. So far each day the kids get a coloring book page and one crayon. They switch colors back and forth and once they are done I tape their pictures to the window so they can see it. Usually after coloring we play games and run around. This helped solved a problem I had with one kid trying to kick me!

Additionally, my husband and I have attending minor celebrations here and there. We have been around our schools more often just to talk and give our neighbors/students/colleagues face time. We both have really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment