Disclaimer

Please note that the entries in this Blog are our opinions and experiences. They do not reflect the US Government or the Peace Corps. Thank you!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The gift of Sports

Last term was trying. It took a lot out of me, and even when I had the successes I still knew I wasn't doing all that I wanted and I wasn't being truly myself. I set to resolve that this term both with my teaching and how I was interacting with the students.

To be more of myself, that was the approach I gave myself and I started it with my classes. I already knew that I was goofy looking and the kids all thought I was goofy sounding, so I decided the best way to keep there attention was through a little goofy teaching. I was simply more relaxed with them. I started doing things to keep them engaged just by being a little silly. I started exaggerating examples or mime different actions. The students also are used to chorus answers and shouting things out. I make it a point to tell them I can't hear an answer unless a hand is in the air and I usually make a funny sound to mimic the chatter they create. I started taking role and have been butchering names, but they like it all the same.

The biggest thing is I wasn't as active as I wanted to be and I wasn't as present outside of class as I intended. Last term taught me that the day scholars were a difficult crowd just because they wanted to cut so early, so I turned my attentions to the boarders. We only have girl boarders at my school which I think is an even better set up. First I encouraged Stacey to come to school one day and we just started throwing the frisbee around. It quickly picked up interest and we started an impromptu game of ultimate. The girls had also been clamoring for football for a while so I had snuck to Mbale and bought a used football using money from the Teacher Welfare I get from my school every month. I brought it to school one day and they started pushing for more. I started setting up Thursdays with the ladies, and after other plans didn't materialize, I added Tuesdays as well. The girls have been eating it up. Tuesdays they just scrimmage and have some fun with it and on Thursdays we actually do a little bit of training. They are all enthusiastic about it and they have never had the opportunity to do something like this before.

I hadn't been very active at site and now I have three days a week to run around a little and to show the girls a little different side. Also when I get Stacey to come and play they are even more excited. We are getting to learn each other a little more each week and I have big plans for them. We are setting aside a space in the compound for a pitch just for the girls. Mr. Oriokot and I have started some minor surveying and pacing of the field. We have also had some girls work on leveling some of the ant and termite mounds. I want to also encourage interclass competitions so more girls will come out to practice.

Another good side effect is since I have turned away the boys, they have been pushing more and more for a program of their own. I have challenged them to organize themselves better before I am willing to work with them on this. Even if they get their stuff together I don't know if I will shift focus away from the girls. They have been getting better each and every week and it is fun to watch them enjoying themselves in a place they rarely have freedom. With the school system the way it is and the length and demand of their day, I am happy to add a little distraction for them to cut loose into that chaos. Who knows, everything might change next year if the Head Teacher lets me tackle the time table.

No comments:

Post a Comment